Herders and Farmers Clash - The Painful Stories - Part 1

Buying and Selling, Export and Import, Entrepreneurship, Education,Training, Research and Support Services
MustyJ

Herders and Farmers Clash - The Painful Stories - Part 1

Post by MustyJ »

Without a policy to curb herders and farmers clashes, the agriculture sector in Nigeria is being set back years. Here is a story from Premium Times focusing on the pains of local farmers/herders on the conflict

Women in Agriculture: What herders told me before destroying my crops — Farmer

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/agriculture/agric-news/475502-women-in-agriculture-what-herders-told-me-before-destroying-my-crops-farmer.html

Namoi Yusuf is a smallholder farmer in Toto community of Nasarawa State. She cultivates cassava, maize, melon, and groundnuts. She has been a farmer for 30 years.

In this episode of our Women in Agriculture, Ms Yusuf shares an interesting story of how herders attacked her on her farm.

PT: Farmers and herders usually have serious clashes, have you had any experience you would like to share with us?
Ms Yusuf: They are here, there was one day I was on the farm ( sometime in May this year), the herders were about five of them, they came with their cows. They led the cows to my farm and I cultivated melon which was almost ready for harvest. Immediately I saw them, I started shouting “who go help me”. They ate up everything, I lost everything. They asked me to stop shouting that the farm belongs to them. They said farmers are disturbing them, that we should stay at home.

I told them that I was looking for something to eat, and vice versa. They said it is not their business. The whole farm was damaged, I had to farm it back and plant another thing. In fact, about two weeks ago, some farmers were kidnapped on their farms. Because of this, I will not visit my farm for now. I am afraid. The villagers spy on us, they tell some of the herders and kidnappers about our activities.

Full story at
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/agriculture/agric-news/475502-women-in-agriculture-what-herders-told-me-before-destroying-my-crops-farmer.html