Are ducks still relevant in Nigeria?

All discussion on farming domestic birds goes here - Chickens, Ducks, Geese etc
Josh123

Are ducks still relevant in Nigeria?

Post by Josh123 »

Growing up I saw lots of duck farmers, I ate duck meat and saw lots of free range ducks. Now, I don't see them as much. Are still raised as much in Nigeria.

MustyJ

Re: Are ducks still relevant in Nigeria?

Post by MustyJ »

Josh123 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:34 am Growing up I saw lots of duck farmers, I ate duck meat and saw lots of free range ducks. Now, I don't see them as much. Are still raised as much in Nigeria.

I will agree with you that ducks are not as popular as they used to. I think for me is that the way the ducks are raise (free range) to forage in dumps put me off. But its just like goats and sheep that forage everywhere too. I guess its all about hygiene regardless of the animals.

Look at this article from Daily Trust

Seizing opportunity in duck farming

Many farmers, particularly in northern Nigeria, are yet to see opportunity in duck production.
This is partly because it is not widely consumed as chickens in many homes in the country, apparently because it is considered by some as dirty.

However, some farmers, particularly smallholders, are seeing opportunities in keeping the birds as it is gradually being accepted as good meat by many.
Depending on the size and gender, these birds cost between N2000 and N3, 500 in some live birds market in Abuja.
Daily Trust visited some livestock markets in Dei-Dei and Madalla on the outskirts of Abuja to assess the market value of these birds.
At the Dei-dei market, the last set of ducks were sold few hours before the reporter got there, while there were thousands of layers, guinea fowls and pigeons for sale.
Abdullahi Abubakar, who sells ducks in the market, said he normally gets his supply from Zamfara-apparently from backyard farmers, adding that he has sold all in the last few days.
Abubakar stated that although the demand is not as high as chickens, there are quite a good number of people in Abuja who consume the meat.
At the Madalla livestock market, Sani Adamu, stated that there are people who come to market daily looking for duck, adding that some even ask for the eggs.
“You hardly find where the eggs are sold,” he said.
According to him, most of his supplies come from the North but most of the buyers come from southern and eastern Nigeria.
Dr. Raji Abdullahi is a veterinary professional with many years’ experience of breeding birds. He said ducks are mini-livestock that requires a little shed at night.
According to him, ducks are hardy and resistant to some environmental hazards, adding that “they have a meat quality comparable to chickens.”
Dr Abdullahi stated that an integrated farm is feasible with duck, noting that they are able to digest fiber and protein more efficiently than chickens.
On a modern farm, the veterinarian said a duck can produce between 100-125 eggs in a year.
He said the Muscovy species of the birds are the most popular in Nigeria with an origin from Central America. Others are White Pekins, Buff, Blue Swedish, and Aylesbury.
Muscovy ducks are able to hatch an average of 30 duckings, with an egg weight of 55-60 grams.
A farmer can commence duck farming with a foundation stock of 12 ducks (a male duck should go for six laying ducks) which may cost between N15, 000 to N20, 000 depending on the breed.
Ducks can weigh 1.5 kilograms for the female while the male can weigh up to 2.2 kilograms.
As early as eight weeks, ducks meant for breeding should be selected so also at 4th and 5th months. Birds with the following characteristics be selected; steady legs; alert eyes; healthy looking feathers and those with no physical defects.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/agri ... 33051.html
MustyJ

Post by MustyJ »

Josh123 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:34 am Growing up I saw lots of duck farmers, I ate duck meat and saw lots of free range ducks. Now, I don't see them as much. Are still raised as much in Nigeria.

I will agree with you that ducks are not as popular as they used to. I think for me is that the way the ducks are raise (free range) to forage in dumps put me off. But its just like goats and sheep that forage everywhere too. I guess its all about hygiene regardless of the animals.

Look at this article from Daily Trust

Seizing opportunity in duck farming

Many farmers, particularly in northern Nigeria, are yet to see opportunity in duck production.
This is partly because it is not widely consumed as chickens in many homes in the country, apparently because it is considered by some as dirty.

largeimg110_Feb_2016_211031797.jpg
largeimg110_Feb_2016_211031797.jpg (79.04 KiB) Viewed 18461 times
However, some farmers, particularly smallholders, are seeing opportunities in keeping the birds as it is gradually being accepted as good meat by many.
Depending on the size and gender, these birds cost between N2000 and N3, 500 in some live birds market in Abuja.
Daily Trust visited some livestock markets in Dei-Dei and Madalla on the outskirts of Abuja to assess the market value of these birds.
At the Dei-dei market, the last set of ducks were sold few hours before the reporter got there, while there were thousands of layers, guinea fowls and pigeons for sale.
Abdullahi Abubakar, who sells ducks in the market, said he normally gets his supply from Zamfara-apparently from backyard farmers, adding that he has sold all in the last few days.
Abubakar stated that although the demand is not as high as chickens, there are quite a good number of people in Abuja who consume the meat.
At the Madalla livestock market, Sani Adamu, stated that there are people who come to market daily looking for duck, adding that some even ask for the eggs.
“You hardly find where the eggs are sold,” he said.
According to him, most of his supplies come from the North but most of the buyers come from southern and eastern Nigeria.
Dr. Raji Abdullahi is a veterinary professional with many years’ experience of breeding birds. He said ducks are mini-livestock that requires a little shed at night.
According to him, ducks are hardy and resistant to some environmental hazards, adding that “they have a meat quality comparable to chickens.”
Dr Abdullahi stated that an integrated farm is feasible with duck, noting that they are able to digest fiber and protein more efficiently than chickens.
On a modern farm, the veterinarian said a duck can produce between 100-125 eggs in a year.
He said the Muscovy species of the birds are the most popular in Nigeria with an origin from Central America. Others are White Pekins, Buff, Blue Swedish, and Aylesbury.
Muscovy ducks are able to hatch an average of 30 duckings, with an egg weight of 55-60 grams.
A farmer can commence duck farming with a foundation stock of 12 ducks (a male duck should go for six laying ducks) which may cost between N15, 000 to N20, 000 depending on the breed.
Ducks can weigh 1.5 kilograms for the female while the male can weigh up to 2.2 kilograms.
As early as eight weeks, ducks meant for breeding should be selected so also at 4th and 5th months. Birds with the following characteristics be selected; steady legs; alert eyes; healthy looking feathers and those with no physical defects.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/agri ... 33051.html
Josh123

Post by Josh123 »

Thanks for the article Musty
Achi
Site Admin

Post by Achi »

There are superstitious associations with ducks. Just as stated it turns some people off ducks. But as far as I know these are old wives tales!