Why Cattle Ranching is not Feasible - MACBAN

All discussion on farming dairy and livestock goes here - Cows, Goats Sheep etc
bonama

Why Cattle Ranching is not Feasible - MACBAN

Post by bonama »

Cattle ranching has been all the rage now and some state governments are enacting law to prohibit open grazing. For the first time i have heard the Miyetti Allah Cattle breeders state their position and some of their concerns which bears looking at closely. in summary they say;

(i) The Country's weather patterns of dry and wet seasons makes ranching a tough alternative. Longer rainy season is required to sustain the grass required for breeding the cattle
(ii) The Specie of Cattle they breed cannot survive ranching. Doing so will require replacing the stock and its associated steep learning curve
(iii) Ranching experiments in the past had failed
(iv) No environmental impact assessment has been carried out on the feasibility of rancing
(v) farming practices in the country are primitive and requiring modern practices like ranching should be extended to farmers who use the land tenure system

Overall, I think ranching is good option moving forward because of its obvious economic advantages to the herders themselves and the Nigerian economic industry. We need to ranch to move from subsistence cattle farming to real Cattle industrial production. The current system of herding cows will not bring about that.

But, from the complaints of the herders, I find a lot of merit in Number (ii). If our specie of cattle is not cut out for ranching, it would means serious economic loses not only to the herders but to the country. The means of acquisition of new breeds and techniques cannot be left to the herders. The question is, who do the herders turn to? Is there an institute that researches on the species of cows specially for the Nigerian climate? Even some of the big farms that import cows into Nigeria, what I hear they do to their cows, no common herder can do that for their cows. So therefore, it is important that the herders are not left on there own. Just like farmers are provided improved seeds and fertilizer, herders should be given access to extension services as they provide critical agricultural service to the country.

For the other complaints, I think they are easily surmountable.

Lindagoask

Why Cattle Ranching is not Feasible MACBAN

Post by Lindagoask »

It would help if you provide details on what modification you did to which mod but I suspect that data of the original mod have been stored in your saved game.

Cheers Euclid