Raising Goats

All discussion on farming dairy and livestock goes here - Cows, Goats Sheep etc
Yunan

Raising Goats

Post by Yunan »

Nigeria is the leading country in Africa raising some 54 million goats. But due to high consumption of goat meat, it is in very high demand. Goat meat is low in saturated fatty acid and is low in cholesterol meaning it is healthier than other red meats.

Goat farming can be very lucrative for the semi urban and rural dweller. Because goats are very hardy, they require far less care than, say, cattle. Anyone with about 500 to 1000 sqm of space to spare can be successful at raising goats. It could provide a good means of income and protein supplement. Some people raise goats which they consume during festive periods.

So, why do you need to raise goats;

(I) Goats are prolific producers of milk. One doe can produce up to 80 liters of milk a month for up to 10 months of a year. The Nigerian Dwarf is a specie recognized for milk and cheese production.
(ii) A castrated goat can produce about 11 – 18 kg of meat.
(iii) Their skins are valuable for use in the leather industry used in furniture, shoes, drums etc
(iv) They are very easy to raise; much easier than chickens. Labour and costs is relatively low
(v) Their droppings are good source of manure for organic farming

So what does raising Goats entail? Let’s discuss this. You need to know the following;

(i) Goats are social animals. They function best in a herd as they depend on each other for safety. Try to keep more than one goat. Also, they have a hierarchy which is best you maintain.

(ii) Male Goats can get aggressive during mating periods. Handle them with care during those times. They also smell bad during that time. If you are like me who just can’t stand the smell, you may keep just females and borrow a Billy when you need of springs. But, hey, you want the money right? Live with the smell. The smell of money in your pocket should counter that of the Billy. Consider castrating young male goats early. They are easier to handle that way and don’t smell so bad. Unfortunately, you will get eunuchs who are just good for meat.

(iii) Invest in a strong fence. Goats always want out either to forage or wander about. Any flimsy fence will get knocked down sooner than later.

(iv) Goats eat just about anything. So watch what you keep around them so they don’t eat what harms them

(v) Start small and grow the herd as you get a hang of it.

(vi) Goats can live for between 9 – 17 years. You can keep a successful mother for a long time.
(vii) There are several specie to choose from;

Nigerian dwarf.
Maradi.
Pygmy.
Boer.
Saanen.
Nubians.
LaMancha.
Alpine.
Oberhasli
Boer etc.

How to Start you farm

(I) If you intend to start on a commercial scale, prepare the usual business plan and ask yourself the important questions;
a. Understand and define your business goals and objectives;
b. Find the right location ( You may start in a space as little as 1000m2 ) and the source of food
c. Consult the nearest goat farm to learn of situation of things (eg diseases, associations etc)
e. Look for outlet for your products; meat or milk

(ii) Look for healthy and matured goats to stock you farm. Be careful not to buy goats less than a year and more than 5 years
(iii) Consider matured goats. Be careful the breeds you choose; for milk or meat and select accordingly. For example, the Nigerian dwarf is a good milk producer
(iv) Build a strong fence of at least 1.6 meter high to keep them under control. But ensure that the animals have enough room to run around. May cities in Nigeria consider goats as a nuisance and will confiscate wandering goats. Also ensure that there is an enclosure where goats can shelter from the weather.
(v) Secure sources of feeds. Goats require a daily ration with 12 – 18% of protein. Fresh grass, grain, vitamins and salts are important dietary considerations
(vi) Consider registering with a Veterinary Hospital and arrange period checks to ensure the animals are in top shape.

(vii) Look out for the following diseases in Goats and refer to a vet immediately;

Tapeworm; symptoms like Diarrhea, some part of tapeworm may be seen in the faeces.
Tuberculosis; difficulty in respiration, coughing, loss of body weight and anemia.
Salmonella infection; loss of weight and low milk production.
Rinderpest; ulcerative lesions will appear inside the lower lip and on the gums diarrhea.
Nitrate/nitrite Poisoning; urine tested positive for nitrate/nitrite, respiratory difficulty staggering gait, the goat blood becomes chocolate brown in color.

So goat farmers, what are your experiences?

MustyJ

Re: Raising Goats

Post by MustyJ »

Great post. Where I live is a semi urban area and raising goats is very popular. But because I like flowers and I have them in my house, my love for goats has gone cold.

One quick question though. Is goat milk that popular in Nigeria? Forgive me ignorance, is it used for ice cream? Or food? Or what?
bonama

Post by bonama »

What is the value of goat manure in organic farming? Is it as good as cow dung?
Noma1133

Post by Noma1133 »

Goat and cow manure are almost the same considering that they are all ruminants. So go ahead and use it for organic farming.
bonama

Post by bonama »

Noma1133 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:50 am Goat and cow manure are almost the same considering that they are all ruminants. So go ahead and use it for organic farming.
Thanks!