5 Fish to Raise in Your Pond

All discussions on fish farming and other aquatic animals goes here - Catfish, Tilapia, etc
MustyJ

5 Fish to Raise in Your Pond

Post by MustyJ »

Fish can be used for food or for show.
Here are 5 fish for your backyard pond or aquarium. Each fish is unique in characteristic, and benefits.

1. Tilapia

Tilapia is easiest to raise. They thrive well in warm weather, and in waters with temperature range of 25 to 30 C. They are not fussy eaters and can thrive vegetables. they grow fast and require plenty of light, oxygen, and clean water.

2. Koikoi-pond

Beautiful adn colorful fish, the Koi do well in small ponds or in aquariums. They are tough little fish that do well in hot areas. They require little attention and can serve as decorative fish or food. There are over a 100 different varieties of koi available having many different color combinations.

3. Goldfish
Unknown to many, Goldfish is a member of the trout family. Like the Koi, there are several different types of goldfish, which grow up to be about 2 to 6 inches long. Goldfish are perhaps among the most popular fish raised in aquariums. They eat crustaceans, insects, and various plant matters.

4. Killifish

If you are in the acquarium business, consider Killifish. They are rapid in reproduction and easy to raise as they eat various types of insects, larva, algae and other plant matters.

5. Catfish
Catfish are the king of the Nigeria home grown fish. They are fast growing, resilient and prolific freshwater fish. Their size may vary greatly in size depending onr species and how well they are fed. They are relatively easy to raise and are generally trouble free. Select your catfish specie to match what you want to do with them ie sale, show, pets etc. For faster growth, consider commercial pelted foods.

bonama

Re: 5 Fish to Raise in Your Pond

Post by bonama »

Which one is it they call Crocker? It's very tasty. Is it not recommended? That's the one I ask for whenever I go to fish joints
Achi
Site Admin

Post by Achi »

Crocker is imported fish. It's salt water fish so it may not be locally raised. That should explain the cost. As per the taste, nne, I agree withu youuu! :lol:
Akpan Sunday

Post by Akpan Sunday »

Sir, how can one get fingerlings for cat fish I am based in Lagos?
Yunan

Post by Yunan »

My small attempt at fish farming for local consumption. Cat fish. It's harvest time.
Attachments
IMG-20170818-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20170818-WA0014.jpg (126.18 KiB) Viewed 12737 times